Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2012 14:33:24 +0100
From:      Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wrong version of sources?

[ Walter Hurry wrote on Sun  2.Sep'12 at 13:19:44 +0000 ]

> On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:51:33 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
>
> > On 09/02/2012 03:21 AM, Walter Hurry wrote:
> >> My standard-
> >> supfile (copied from examples with only the default host changed) says
> >> 'tag=RELENG_9'.
> >>
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
> > RELENG_9 The line of development for FreeBSD-9.X, also known as FreeBSD
> > 9-STABLE
> >
> > You're running 9.1-RC1, which doesn't have the RELENG_9_1 tag available
> > yet, as this is a release candidate. Thus the trouble when compiling
> > VBox from sources.
> >
> > Have you rebuilt your kernel and the world once you'd pulled in the
> > sources for RELENG_9?
> >
> > Anyway, that's my take on it.
>
> Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't rebuilt kernel and world, nor do I
> intend to for the moment. I'm happy to stick with generic.
>
> I'm still slightly confused by this "tag" stuff though; sorry (despite
> perusal of the handbook). Are you saying that until RELENG_9_1 is made
> available I won't be able to compile kernel modules? Or that I should
> have a different tag in my standard-supfile?

To have the 9.1-RC1 source code, use the stable-supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ and build world and kernel using that source tree. That will give you a 9.1-RC1 system. So that would be a RELENG_9 tag if you look in that stable-supfile. Then, when 9.1-RELEASE is officially released, you'd use the standard-supfile which uses a RELENG_9_1 tag if you wanted to stay with the -RELEASE brach. Or you could just continue to track stable branch and keep the RELENG_9 tag.

That's what I am doing currently although I intend on tracking stable branch anyway, i.e. after 9.1-RELEASE has been made available.

Jamie.