Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:56:06 +0100
From:      Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb.quenot@caraldi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: migrating users

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

* Rob Evers:

> I'm going to move  move my sendmail server to a  new machine.  The new
> machine will use  postfix and virtual users, now what  I cant't figure
> out is  how to migrate the  users (and keep the  old passwords).  Does
> anyone know  of a procedure  to extract  plain text passwords  for all
> users ?

Generally speaking,  there is  no way  to retrieve  clear-text passwords
=66rom the database, because passwords  are encrypted with a one-way hash.
Hoewever, you  can try to  copy the  encrypted password as-is.   The new
virtual users database could recognize it, depending on what you use.

Best regards,
--=20
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/