Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 13:25:57 +0300
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems with multiple connections

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:36:37PM +0200, Noor Dawod wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this list can help me. Our company bought a brand new P-III
> 933Mhz 1GB server few months ago for our Web and Mail services. We run
> FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (Jan 17 2001). The Web server is Apache 1.3.19 with
> PHP 4.0.4pl1.
>
> Recently, and after hosting a heavily accessed Web site on it, the
> server is showing signs of "tiredness" by not accepting new connections
> to the Web server. At this time, I can see that the CPU usage (idle) is
> more than 90%, and that's why I am almost convinced that it's a lack of
> connection resources in the FreeBSD system that is causing the problem.
> Apache is configured to run a maximum of 15 clients concurrently, and
> each of them can handle up to 200 connections. That's a 3000 connections
> limit.
>
> I wanted to ask you whether it's possible to see how many active
> connections (keep-alive included) are being used by the OS and is there
> a way to know what's the maximum limit allowed in the system? I suspect
> it's a system control variable, but I couldn't find it after checking
> the list of I got from 'sysctl -a'
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> Noor

See the MAXUSERS setting in the configuration file for the kernel.

For the number of connections, see the output of netstat -n.

You could get some useful info from "netstat -m".  See if the peak
value for mbufs in use is very close to the maximum.  If so, you
definitely should bump up MAXUSERS.

Hope this helps
	Alex