Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:47:45 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Cc:        danfe@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux GL libraries and nvidia drivers (was: Re: deprecate some linux ports)

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 18:40:08 +0200 (CEST) Alexander Best wrote:

> seems like a good idea. especially for people new to freebsd the different
> linux base versions are confusing.

> the only linux-f8-* port i'm running atm is graphics/linux-f8-libGLU since
> there's no linux-f10-libGLU port available. using graphics/linux-f10-dri
> instead isn't an option for me since the port shares some files with the
> nvidia freebsd binary graphic drivers.

Which dri graphics port are you using now? Seems that it already
has some shared files with nvidia driver.

The default for -f10- ports is linux-dri74. But it has just the same
pkg-plist as linux-f10-dri.

BTW, I can create a linux-f10-libGLU port if it is needed. But I'm
not sure if it is needed.

If I understand the problem with nvidia driver correctly it
installs (and uses) its own linux libGL.so. Hence the problem is
not with libGLU.so but with libGL.so. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What if I create a new (say) linux-<prefix>-libGL port with only
libGL libraries and remove them from linux-<prefix>-dri port?
The latter will depend on linux-<prefix>-libGL port.

In other words:
. create a new linux-libGL74 with libGL libraries;
. remove libGL libraries from linux-dri74 and add a dependecy
  upon the new linux-libGL74 port.

Note: I use a "74" suffix here because I've taken those libraries
from a Ubuntu distribution which had drivers for xorg-7.4.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve