Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:40:24 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Klintrup?= <bigchief@aub.dk>
To:        "Jonathan Walther" <krooger@debian.org>, "Jesus Monroy" <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
Cc:        "Seth" <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Linux vs. NT, take 2.]

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>
To: Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
Cc: Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>; <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 4:44 AM

> The only damage was to Redhat.  None of the Linux bigwigs participated.
> Linus, Alan Cox, Jeremy Alison... none of them participated or endorsed
the
> benchmarks.  Linux is pulling through this one pretty well.  And the fact
> that Mindcraft is still involved taints all results in the eyes of the
> journalistic community.  As well as the fact that Apache was what was
> tested, not the faster web servers.
>
> Jonathan Walther

I think this test shows that theres still a lot to be done on linux .. it
performed allright i guess, but theres still some way to go before it is
mature enough for larger systems ... but it's getting there ..

They DID test the faster servers like zeus (read it again .. :) and it
stopped right where apache did (almost :), it was a kernel problem...

It would have been fun to see how FreeBSD performed in this test, i'm not
sure it would outperform NT, but I think that it would perform better than
linux .. to some extend ...

just my 5 cents

/Søren