Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:20:39 -0800 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "Nicolas C. Colicchio" <ncolicc@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic on mounting OS/2 partition (was: "WARNING: / was not properly dismounted" message at reboot time.)

> > 	I'm willing to bet that Win95 corrupted it's slice, and screwed up
> > the entire FAT. Mounting the slice itself just quickened something that
> > was going to happen down the road. Try doing the good ol' fdisk /mbr with
> > a dos boot disk. After that you may want to boot off of FreeBSD boot
> > disk, resetup your slices. Then you'll probally have to nuke and reload
> > Win95 I bet, you maybe able to save it, but I bet that it'll happen again
> > within three months if you use Win95 fairly often.
>
>    I don't think this is the Problem here. This setup has been OK for
> over a Year now.

	You've had a Win95 partition last a whole year? That's some kind
of record!:) Win95 corrupts it's own files and filesystem. That is why I
personally nuke and reload it on all my systems every six months. It's
also possible that Win95's swap file temporarily took up to much space
and overwrote the filesystem too. (For some reason, win95 swap is to
stupid to realize when it runs out of hard drive space.) It's possible
that you still didn't have the problem, but like I said, I'm willing to
bet that it's part of the problem. The only other thing I can think is
that it's possibly the OS/2 boot manager, I dimly remeber people having
problems with that before.

						Rick