Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:57:30 -0500
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question about IPFW keep-state

Hi,

I am considering using some keep-state rules in my firewall code, however I
would like some clarification on what keep-state actually does...

I read the man page on it and it says that this is a dynamic ruleset...
which I don't quite understand either... it sounds as if it may be more
complicated than it seems...

Do the rulesets below work that simply? Or is there more to this that is not
so easily understood? (such as a deeper ruleset for the basic dynamic
rulesets to follow, modifications to IPFW, or NATD (which I don't use right
now...)

ex.:

add allow udp from <myip> to any keep-state        # Allow outgoing UDP and
allow icmp from <myip> to any keep-state             # Allow outgoing ICMP
and responses (traceroutes and pings...)

Thanks,

Jordan