Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 2003 03:06:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      <liquid@istop.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

Hi all,

(My mailserver is currently offline and this address is not subscribed,
please cc me in all replies, thanks)

I'm waiting for my new internet connection to be setup here, and in the
meantime I'm starting to configure my network accordingly.

I'm going to have a static IP - say xx.xx.yy.zz - and a subnet as follows:
xx.xx.xx.zz/28

My plan is to run a FreeBSD router to have the subnet routed through the
static IP.  I've already got the static routes I need to add figured out.  I
still have some questions at this point (this setup is new to me):

1.  Do I need to inform the ISP of my intentions so that people can actually
connect to an IP which is part of my subnet, but behind this router I intend
to build? (I didn't think it was necessary until I read 19.2.5 in the
handbook - it doesn't seem like it's necessary based on that alone, but it
has placed some doubt in my mind).

2.  I currently run my FreeBSD router on a cable connection while waiting
for the new ISP to get setup.  I use NAT to translate the EXT. IP to the
internal ones of my lan.  I don't need to run nat for the setup I plan to
have do I?

3.  Finally, I've read (briefly thus far) about routed on FreeBSD.  Would
this daemon be used in such a way that I don't even need to add static
routes for LAN?

Again, this address is not subscribed, so please answer by putting my
address in the cc: field.

Thanks