Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Screen savers for syscons....

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> They work on MDA's, atleast some of them (star, snake).

Well, they should. ;)

> > AFter that, I'd like to write a few screen savers that use the
> > 320x200x256 graphics mode of VGA to create a few decent screen savers.
> > (let's face it, other than the "green" and "blank" screen savers
> > everything else is pitiful.)

> ... but I never took it very seriously as most
> people (including myself) runs X nowadays on "real" machines, and one
> dont want a saver to keep the backlight alive on a laptop, so the
> need is not that big. Besides it will only do in the std VGA modes
> like 320x200x256 or 640x480x16, so either there is no resolution or
> there is no colors .....

I know the thing about X. ;) But since we provide syscon screen saver
support, we might as well do it right. =)

I also have extensive experience with the VGA hardware, and I could whip
up a library in no time. ;) Especially for a 256 color mode. 16 colors is
also no real big deal, just a little time. And as to the "nor resolution
or no colors," you'd be surprised what you can do. And in this situation,
resolution or colors is NOT that big a deal.

> If you get any graphic savers done, let me know, I'll consider them
> for inclusion in the tree....

=)

                                Jon Mini, j_mini@efn.org, mini@4j.lane.edu
                                                    GAMMA Development Team
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...."
little.blue.engine:Reality Protection Fault. (core dumped)