Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 05:22:50 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        jmaslak@updatesystems.com (Joel Maslak)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switches & Security

On 20 Aug 1999 16:07:48 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.misc you wrote:

>To compromize a network consisting of a switched backbone...
>Internet ---- R ----+
>            A -- SWITCH -- B
>
>Let's say B got compromised.
>
>What B has to do is send ARP broadcasts out, claiming that it is actually
>R.  Now, it knows R's REAL ethernet address.
>--- That was method 1. ---

On the Catalysts, you can nail down the ARP address statically and have it
ignore any other MAC addresses that would leak out.

>There are MANY ways to invalidate the ARP cache of a switch.  Some
>crash the switch.

Even if its hard coded in the switch not to allow any other MAC addresses
out ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Who is this 'BSD', and why should we free him?"