Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:08:24 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Ian Struble <ian@broken.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current unassigned ports problem reports

At 16.33 22/02/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Don't worry too much about any 'newbie status'.  Start with just a
>few updates or pr's to get your feet wet.  I am sure that someone would
>notice a subject line of 're: ports/7500 - tested, please commit'.
>Messages about old pr's will probably get someone's attention right?
>Once you do a few of these someone will probably start thinking of you as
>a 'trusted user' more than a newbie and the process will start moving
>along faster.

Uhm... I have send :-)

9616 abs (committed)
9672 xtail
9719 fortuneit
9836 delay
9923 10096 xtet
10104 pmars-0.8
10177 upgrade p5-mail-tools 1.12
10181 upgrade GIFGraph 1.10

But now I am not speaking for mine ports or for myself, I am doing a
general discussion point. I think that everyone agree that if we lower the
latency of a ports before committing we reach a better efficency point ...
:-) I understand that we cannot make our ports tree a jungle of not working
ports trying to accelerate the committing time, but when a port is tested
is not usefull to anyone to leave it become unusefull in the limbo ...
It is not an unusual thing for me to install the pr-ports I see in gnats
area, because they are newer than those in the ports tree... It was so for
postgreSQL, windowmaker and a lot of other...
If you see the open Pr list you can understand what I am talking about ...
Perhaps this situation don't boost or motivate people to send-pr of ports
they have made for themselves, too...

Thanks for your attention and for your time ...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it