Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:41:46 -0400
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does CAM do this?

> >        What is the blocksize of the current tape record?
>
> Unless you're tape drive is clairvoyant, you can't  know that
> until you read the record (or attempt to).

The problem is that a read() to the (default) tape drive under FreeBSD
returns exactly the number of bytes you asked for, so there is no way to
determine the actual number of bytes on the tape record.

I just don't know enough about this stuff to understand why it worked on so
many platforms for so many years.  I just know it worked.