Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 23:16:52 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Steve Carter <scarter@globalcenter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Keeping -RELEASE up to date

> I am pretty seasoned with Unix, but pretty recent to FreeBSD.

Welcome!

> I have read about using cvsup to keep -CURRENT and -STABLE trains up to
> date, but how does one keep the -RELEASE up to date?  Is there a tag for
> -RELEASE also, a la:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3
>
> I am running 3.0-RELEASE and would like to use cvsup, or some other
> mechanism for keep my system up to date in terms of bug fixes and the
> like.  Am I missing something fundamental?
>
> -Steve

The tag as you've specified it (RELENG_3) is the correct one for
keeping a 3.x release -STABLE.

The tag 'RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE' was simply a snapshot at that point
in time on branch RELENG_3.

I'd recommend getting warmed up to mergemaster if you plan to take
your system from 3.0-RELEASE to 3.1-STABLE.  I'd recommend doing so.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks