Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:30:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Mike Caudill <mcaudill@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default routes problem

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Mike Caudill wrote:

> > [On Sat Mar 18 10:30:52 2000, Alex Charalabidis wrote]
> > On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Mike Caudill wrote:
> >
> > > net 1 - 1.1.1.X     rtr 1 is 1.1.1.1, FreeBSD pc is 1.1.1.2
> > > net 2 - 2.2.2.X, but doesnt really matter
> > > net 3 - 3.3.3.X     rtr 2 is 3.3.3.1 WinPC1 is 3.3.3.3, winpc2 is 3.3.3.4
> > >
> > > FreeBSDpc has default gateway set to 1.1.1.1
> > > Both Windows pcs have their default gateways set to 3.3.3.1
> > >
> > > FreeBSDpc can talk to WinPC1, but not WINpc 2.  Both rtr1 and rtr2 can
> > > talk to winpc1 and winpc2.  There are no access lists,  firewalls, or NAT
> > > going on.
> > >
> > > Winpc2 can talk to other hosts on net1 just fine.
> > >
> > > So, on FreeBSD pc, I add a static route for the network.
> > >
> > > route add 3.3.3.0 1.1.1.1
> > >
> > > still cant talk to winpc2.
> >
> > route add -net 3.3.3 1.1.1.1
> >

> ok, fine.  simple mistake.  That still does not explain why it did not
> use the default gateway instead, without even having to do any route add
> commands.

You're right about that. I can't say I've seen FreeBSD behave like that
unless there was a configuration error. Only times I remember seeing this
are when I forgot to add the default route or when I lost it while mucking
about with the network setup. Otherwise, straightforward routing like this
works perfectly on 3.x. Does the problem present itself immediately after
startup or does it just lose the route at some other point in time?

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/