Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 14:55:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestion for iijppp's demand dial.

John Duncan writes:
 > IIJPPP is neato, I thought, except it ended up being not worth
 > using because of its clumsy interface and the fact that it would
 > only demand-dial if you had a preset default route. I don't have one.

You seem to have missed something important: you can change the default
route each time the PPP link comes up.  In order to use this, you must
first add a default route to one of your dial-in ports.  It doesn't
matter which one, just pick one.  When you attempt to route a packet
off the local machine (or network) ppp will bring up the link.  In
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup, the following entry:

	#
	# In all cases (since we've only got one) add his address as default
	# gateway.  This has the added benefit of making *any* packet routed
	# off our network redial the link.  Of course, this makes casual
	# name lookups expensive.
	#
	MYADDR:
	 delete 0 0
	 add 0 0 HISADDR

Will change the default route to the other side of the newly connected
PPP link.  When the link drops, the route stays, and will force the
auto dial the next time around.

"It works for me!"  ;^)