Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 02:25:07 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), brian@awfulhak.org, mattc@rfcnet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why /var/log/ppp.log

> If you want to use the name it's called in the RFC's, you should
> use the term "transparent proxy" or just "proxy" for short.

Which will only confuse the hell out of people all over again when
they confuse it with something like socks.  RFS or not, I think that's
a bad idea.

> The term "NAT" is generally meaningless, and doesn't imply some things

It's no more or less than what various hardware devices for doing
essentially the same thing back in the 80's called themselves, and
that's meaningful enough for me.  We've also got a "natd" already, so
it's self-consistent.  That's good enough for me, and the topic is a
religious enough one that any dissenting opinions can be safely
ignored. :-)

- Jordan