Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 00:37:06 +0200
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tege@matematik.su.se>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940UW sync at low rates

When the 2940UW is set in "Ultra mode", it refuses to talk at lower than 10
MB/s to any devices.  Unfortunately, I have a Toshiba 6.7x CD-ROM drive, and
a HP DAT drive that max out at 4.4 MB/s and 5.0 MB/s respectively.  FreeBSD
warns about these devices, but to my surprise, at least the CD-ROM seems to
work great!  (I haven't tried the DAT drive yet.)

My first stupid question is: Can I ignore this problem, or will it cause
serious problems with the devices that I simply haven't run into yet?

My second stupid question is: Can an ASUS SC200 coexist with an 2940UW?
Which one's boot ROM will win...?  :-) (The boot ROM for the SC200 is on the
ASUS motherboard.)

My third stupid question is: If one uses several similar SCSI controllers
(say an 2940UW and a plain 2940), which one will be ahc0 and which one will
be ahc1?

My last stupid question is: Are there (FreeBSD-supported) Ultra SCSI
controllers that support more speeds than the 2940UW?  I'll run out of PCI
slots if I am forced into using two SCSI controllers.

Torbjorn