Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:23:13 +0000
From:      Keith Jones <keithj@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Dmitry Sivachenko <demon@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        keith@mithy.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with MSS sound card

Hi,

<aol>Me too!</aol>

This seems to be a general problem with the newpcm driver and AD1848's.
I have had the same problem with the so-called "Compaq Business Audio"
(essentially an on-board AD1848 chip) on my old Deskpro 450XE since
4.0-RELEASE. I went back to using the snd driver, assuming that it was just
my old bogus Compaq hardware that couldn't cope, was no longer supported,
or similar.

This time around I took a quick look at the code for both drivers.

My initial findings suggest that there is quite a difference between the two
drivers in the way that timeouts are handled, and I think that this may be
affecting newpcm's ability to handle older MSS cards/chips (it appears at
first glance that the code in newpcm contains rather more draconian timeout
values). I've also stumbled on one or two other differences between the
drivers in the way the hardware is handled and I suspect something else may
have been inadvertently broken during the port of the MSS code from snd to
newpcm.

PR to follow once I've had time to play with the driver code at home and
isolate the exact nature of the problem.

In the meantime I'd stick to using 'snd', personally.

newpcm driver flags (I don't yet know whether these work for 'snd'):

The flags for 'pcm' are essentially used for defining your sound card's
secondary DMA channel. This should be set to 0 (or left out of the config
line) if your card doesn't have one, or set to 0x10 + C to specify DMA
channel C.

There are other flags for newpcm, but the commentary in LINT strongly
advises you not to play with them. ;)

Kind regards

Keith

--
Keith Jones
E-Business Service Introduction, GBIT-E (Bristol)

I don't speak for Hewlett-Packard.