Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 2016 06:25:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu
Subject:   Re: gateway machine port redirect question

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I Believe the problem is as follows:
>
> there are two machines inside the NAT'd lan,  A and B, (local addresses) .
> The NAT machine is X on the outside and Y on the inside.
> B is also visible to the outside world as the Nat'd address C (which may or
> may not be the same as X).
>
> A wants to be able to send a request to address C and have it bounce back to
> B, (with a source address of Y).
> The reply to Y should in turn be bounced back to A.
>
> This is quite complicated and while I am sure we could work out how it
> should be done I can't just rattle off an answer. It probably requires
> two instances of NAT a regular NAT on the external interface, and a
> reverse nat on the inside interface, triggering on outgoing packets.
> turning them around

Um... I think that is effectively what those few lines of PF I posted
do.  Granted, it is probably a lot easier with PF.

There is a server inside my LAN.  I needed to access it by its outside
address regardless of whether the client was inside or outside.  And the
excerpts I posted earlier work.  It is actually just three things in
addition to the standard gateway NAT:

1. The NAT for the LAN to the inside server
2. The redirect from the LAN to the inside server
3. The redirect from the outside to the inside server