Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 22:29:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        karl@mcs.com, current@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> > > Hi there!
> > >
> > > I'd like to set up to get SUP updates of -STABLE, if there is a target for
> > > it.
> >
> > Yes, and there is a sample sup file for getting it.  Probably the best
> > way to get that is to ftp it from the -CURRENT tree (I commited it there
> > and pulled it into the -STABLE branch).  Path name relative to the
> > base of the -CURRENT src tree is:
> > src/share/FAQ/extras/stable-supfile
> >
> > > Unfortunately for me, I haven't set up SUP before.  Anyone got a FAQ for me
> > > on the way to get this going?
> >
> > /usr/share/FAQ/Text/sup.FAQ on any 2.0.5 or later system or
> > src/share/FAQ/Text/sup.FAQ from a source tree.
> >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > Your welcome!
>
> I guess that -STABLE isn't.

It is as stable as we have, it is a slight notch above 2.0.5R, and a
far lot more so than 2.2-CURRENT.

> I get the same silent hang on the 1742 machine that I get on the other
> releases, and we've added a panic in biodone to the mix.  The 2742 driver
> problems are not addressed in -STABLE either.

That is correct, we can't address your 1742/2742 problem in _any_ branch
until we find what it is that is causing it.  Since we have not identified
that problem how could we have fixed it???

> -CURRENT is incompatible with anything that touches the NFS areas, unless I
> want to start completely over and reload the ENTIRE system.  Since -CURRENT
> is such a moving target, this isn't really a good option either, especially
> when I have no idea when or if -CURRENT is stable.

You made a mistake if you tried to go -CURRENT and you wanted stability,
we never recomend -CURRENT for a site that is not willing to suffer through
some rather serious problems at time.  I don't know if someone told you
to try this, or just what, but please, stop using -CURRENT to try and get
stabalized, that is the wrong route to go as you have already found out :-(.

> So right now, we have -RELEASE which doesn't run right, -STABLE which isn't,
> and a -CURRENT which kernels blow up when tickled by -RELEASE's binaries
> during the startup of NFS and amd.

Mixing -RELEASE and -CURRENT is a no no, it is bound to have problems, and
I do not recommend even trying that for any reason ever.

> This is getting frustrating, and I'm running out of time and patience.
> Perhaps this isn't the path we want to go down with our operating system
> choice.

Perhaps you should get on the -STABLE branch, stay there, and let us
work the problems in _one_ tree.

> I'm going to give this another week of effort, and if we don't have it
> stable by then I'm tossing in the towel and going to start on the evaluation
> process again from scratch.  This is costing me far too much sleep.

We can't get you stabalized if you change the code faster than I can
respond to email :-)  Please, compile up a make world from the STABLE
sup bits, and lets tackle the bug with the 1742/2742 in that set of
code without adding all the other complications of what is going on
in -current.