Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 13:23:04 +1100
From:      Mark Bayles <mbayles@h130.aone.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cannot connect via FTP?

To who ever,

I have been trying to install FreeBSD 2.2-BETA from scratch. I have
been  hitting a brick wall when it comes to connecting to a BSD site
that allows downloading via FTP. I enter all relevant information in the
"TCP-IP" setup, then when I go to the ALT-F3 screen and type 'term', I
cannot talk to my modem! I know my modem is on COM2(/dev/sio1) but when
I type nothing comes back to the terminal screen. Same with the TXD &
RXD lights on the modem. It seems as if FreeBSD cannot open the port. On
boot it displays information about the sio0 & sio1 ports & knows that
they are 16550's. What am I doing wrong?

For furtur information I have tried this on two different computers with
differnt modems and have the same result!? The only common factor is the
serial ports being both on the motherboard!

Kind Regards,

Mark the new "novice" in the block.