Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 08:50:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! My Disks Are GONE...

Mike Smith, On 05-Nov-98 you wrote:
> > The 164LX cannot find the disks after make installworld and a reboot.
> > They are simply gone.
> >
> > the console monitor simply looks for dka0.2000.0 or some such and never
> > finds it.  The floppy disks seem to still be there.
>
>  Sounds like the NVRAM may be spooged.  What if you try booting an
>  explicit disk (boot dka0)?

Same junk.  when powering up it says ``waiting for dka0.2000.0 to poll''.
I tried to put another disk in (a seagate baracuda), and it immediately
said ``Cannot open dka0.2000.0'' which means to me that it sees the
controller, and the controller sees the disks.

But, I think you are right; It appears to me that (in the traditional DEC
ways) the NVRAM contains some very explicit information and something got
confused.

> > For a while, it would boot from the disks, only to hang in the device
> > scan.
> > Now, the console (SRM?) cannot find the disks.
> >
> > Any idea is welcome.  I got lots of work accomplished there...
>
>  Bad, very bad.  Board under warranty?

Who knows.  I borrowed the machine.  Do you think the disks are
transferrable to another machine?  OR is there some black magic involved in
adding a disk to one of these creations?

Simon