Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:26:07 +0930 (CST)
From:      Duncan Sayers <duncan@apdata.com.au>
To:        BSDJunk <BSDJunk@bzerk.org>
Cc:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba connectivity problems...

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, BSDJunk wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:48:36 +0200
> From: BSDJunk <BSDJunk@bzerk.org>
> To: Duncan Sayers <duncan@apdata.com.au>, Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: samba connectivity problems...
>

> > Now that you have commented the samba entries out of inetd.conf, you need
> > to reload the config using "kill -HUP inetd"
>
> That would be "killall -HUP inetd" or "kill -HUP <PID of inetd>

ahh yes quite true, my apologies to "BSD Newbie"

> > Then start smbd and nmbd with the following as DrTebi suggested below:
> >
> > /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd
> > /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd
>
> If you start smbd and nmbd from inetd.conf you don't have to start them 'by
> hand' anymore. inetd takes care of that.

In this instance smbd and nmbd had been commented out of inetd.conf, so
therefore you would have to start them by hand.

I wouldn't have thought there would be any benefit starting samba from
inetd.

--
Duncan Sayers
Applied Data Control  http://www.apdata.com.au