Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:18:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        dg@root.com, filo@yahoo.com, freebsd-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with reboot

Hi Chuck Robey;  On 13-Jul-97 you wrote:

> I'm not sure here ... if your proposed fix would work on shutdown only,
> but allow a halt or reboot under emergency conditions, then I'm in
> agreement, and adding hooks to shutdown is a great path to take; if not,
> then you can see my objection here, right?

I don't think i am proposing any fix.  Just soliciting clarification;

If FreeBSD shutdown umounts and umount blocks until the close to sd.c
returns (which appears to be a true statement), then there is nothing t
change.
If /sbin/reboot does not issue umount, but shutdown does (elsewhere,
BEFORE executing /sbin/reboot :-), then all we need is to remind ourselves
that it is bad manners to /sbin/reboot a system.  Especially if there is
a DPT and there is heavy I/O going on.

DPT Cache Flushing Policy:

*  Every n milliseconds (default = 125) of idleness, caches start
   flushing.  They are not invalidated though.

*  Caches can be turned into either write-back (default), write-through
   or OFF.

*  The amount of cache devoted to read-ahead, and the largest single I/O
   block cachable are also tunable.

* The amount, block size and type of cache on the DISKS is also tunable.

These parametes are tunable from dptmgr (DOS).  Future releases (soon) of
our FreeBSD driver will support IOCTL and /dev/dpt ASCII interfaces to
these functions, as well as array builds, repairs, monitoring, and other
such things.  The SCO version of dptmgr will be ported to FreeBSD.
Probably NOT in source.

Simon