Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:43:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

[ Mini-probe ]

> Let's just make sure I understand what the 'mini-probe' entails, as I
> may be misunderstanding this.
>
> Before the mini-probe runs, is the device detached?

No.  It was 'suspended', which basically means the power was pulled from
the card slot (and hence the card.)

> ie. the mini-probe
> is basically going to run the probe and then attach routines again?

Just the probe, not the attach.

> (Do you have to do this anyway, to get the PCCARD back to a known
> state?)

Well, there's the issue, and the answer is 'maybe so, I'm not sure'.  I
don't *think* so, but it may require it.  I'm playing with some code to
try and not require it.  I know the linux code doesn't try to save the
state, and instead does what the apm_pccard_resume code does.  (Which
isn't necessarily a bad thing.)  However, I'm not sure what the other
OS's do (NetBSD for example).  Win95 appears to 'suspend/resume' the
card, although it may just be the 'appearances', and not how it's
actually implemented under the hood.

Nate