Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 15:59:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-announce@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   ANNOUNCE: mynews, inn+suck primer and set-up utilities

#
# $Id: ANNOUNCE,v 1.1 1997/08/16 22:53:07 dmlb Exp $
#

                        Announcing mynews
                        =================

  mynews is a set of scripts and instructions for setting up a small
  news-server using inn-1.5.1 and suck-2.6.2 on FreeBSD-2.2.2

  mynews is intended for people with a small number of machines and
  users (e.g. at home) who do not have a "real" NNTP feed.

Author
======

  mynews was written by Duncan Barclay, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk

Versioning and Availability
===========================

  mynews has not yet got an official home, the incoming directory
  at ftp.freebsd.org contains the most recent copy:
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/mynews-0.1.tar.gz

  The current version is 0.1 and I haven't decided where to store the
  tag in the distribution.

History
=======

  mynews grew from my notes as I was struggling to set up inn-1.5.1 and
  suck-2.6.2 when I got a dial-up Internet account.

  As I found that the majority of the documentation was just too
  confusing for someone with no experience of running a news server
  (although I have been looking after various *nix boxes for a few
  years) I have put together mynews for other people to use.

Future Work
===========

  mynews will track changes in the inn and suck as and when they get
  reflected into the stable (not -current) releases of FreeBSD.

  I will also take on board comments from any one who uses mynews, and
  would welcome suggestions/comments from experienced news
  administrators on ways of making this set-up work more smoothly etc.

  The current version number of 0.1 reflects the fact that this is the
  first release of mynews. I have been using mynews for about three
  months now and it seems to be stable. Version 1.0 will be released
  when (and if) mynews becomes more integrated with the FreeBSD
  ports/packages collection.