Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:06:33 +0100
From:      "Steve Hodgson" <steve@acidy.com>
To:        "'Jonathon McKitrick'" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to mount extra partitions from a fixit disk

owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org wrote:
> Here's my scenario: I'm running 4.10 on a laptop, and the
> drive is in the process of dying.  It won't boot, but from
> the fixit disk I am able to access the root directory.  Root
> is assigned to ad0s1a, which the fixit disk has in the /dev
> directory.  However, /usr is on ad0s1g.  There is no entry
> for this device in /dev, and no MAKEDEV script either.  How
> can I mount this device/partition to access /usr?
>=20
> Also, I'm trying to decide how to get the data off the
> laptop.  I have a wi card and a parallel port zip drive.
> Which would be easier to get working? Can I simply copy the
> modules from another 4.10 box and then break into the boot cycle and
> load them there?=20
>=20
> jm

How about downloading FreeSBIE on another computer, burning it to an ISO =
and
using that? I've never used the fixit CD but FreeSBIE is based on 5.2.1 =
and
may have better luck. maybe.

On the same vain you could try knoppix, though I'm not sure that the =
Linux
kernel is compiled with support for UFS. A completely different code =
base
may have some luck disentangling your dying drive.

Steve