Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:05:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Steve Francis <steve@expertcity.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> large queues to build up in other drivers. E.g. the "xl"
> driver was recently reported to take a long time every second to
> read some info (statistics ?) from the NIC; at 8kpps, 10ms
> is roughly 80 packets, which would easily explain the drops you
> are seeing.

The assertion that statistics retrieval was taking up lots of time turned
out to be completely false.  In the past, the statistics update also
triggered a MII poll, which is why the statistics interrupt seemed to be
the culprit.

But yes, the MII poll was taking 10ms every second until I recently
committed Harti Brandt's changes to -current.  Now it "only" takes 1ms,
which is still too long, but hard to reduce further.  The MFC will have to
wait until after 4.7-release is tagged, unfortunately.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack