Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:27:36 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "sbruno@freebsd.org" <sbruno@freebsd.org>, Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>, "N.J. Mann" <njm@njm.me.uk>
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 09:29 -0700, N.J. Mann wrote:
>> In message <1283271393.3665.13.camel@home-yahoo>,
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 Sean Bruno (seanbru@yahoo-inc.com) wrote:
>> > An issue in testing came up where we were trying to mount NFS
>> > directories from the same server, i.e. a machine trying to mount an NF=
>> > dir on itself.
>> >
>> > Because mountcritremote runs before the NFS server is up, we modified
>> > the REQUIRES section and appended nfsd.
>>
>> Is this not what the 'late' attribute in /etc/fstab is for?
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> oberon% grep /usr/ports /etc/fstab
>> oberon:/export/usr/ports =A0 /usr/ports =A0 nfs =A0 late,rw,tcp

Specifying `late' seems extremely unnecessary for NFS mounts. If
mountcritremote can't properly depend on nmbd, nfsd, smbd for mounting
filesystems, then it seems like a rc script dependency issue
(otherwise, mountcritremote is basically mountcritlocal, waiting for
some networking connectivity to come up, right?).

> Good question. =A0Looking over the man page for mount, is there any reaso=
> to use 'late' versus what I am suggesting?

Thanks,
-Garrett