Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 19:33:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JDK and FreeBSD 2.2.5?

<trimmed the CC to just questions>

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Donald Burr wrote:

> I've gotten and installed the JDK 1.1 (kwhite's version) on my (pretty
> stock) 2.2.5-R system.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to work right.  It
> *SEEMS* to compile Java applets OK (although, as of yet, I haven't written
> any REALLY COMPLEX applets yet), but when I run them with appletviewer, it
> segfaults (Sig11, SIGSEGV).  (However, if I try and run this very same
> Java bytecode under Netscape 3.04, it works fine.)  It also SIGSEGV's when
> trying to run large Java applications (such as ICQ).  Any ideas?  I really
> need JDK1.1 or higher, because one of the apps I really want to run (ICQ)
> requires it.

ICQ has been working solid for me since I upgraded to FreeBSD 2.2.5, XFree
3.3.1, kwhite's JDK 1.1, and ICQ 0.95

There's three things that need to be done to the JDK to get ICQ running,
and one more to make it run better.

First two items are on the kwhite page, though it sounds like you already
took care of those (symlinks or patches to take care of /bin/ksh and a
library issue).

The other essential item is to delete the font.properties* files from the
java lib directory. This is probably where you're having problems.

Finally, I recommend installing Lesstif 0.82, since most of the ICQ bugs
that you'll notice are actually Lesstif bugs, and this fixes most of them
(and creates one other bug, but simply resizing the window fixes the
problem). Oh, you'll need to go into the lib directory and remove the link
to the patched Lesstif 0.79 that is included with the kwhite JDK, and
replace it with a link to your new 0.82 library.