Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 16:09:08 -0500
From:      Dan Cross <tenser@spitfire.ecsel.psu.edu>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH for *ALL* FreeBSD Setlocale() problems - EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS MESSAGE

> I will EXPECT that these will show up in the CVS tree within 48 hours
> unless there are VERY good reasons expressed for them not being included.
> I WILL be looking for them to appear.

Well, for -current, they are somewhat unnecessary.  I made a complete
fool out of myself last night on freebsd-bugs, thus implicitly demons-
trating this.  :-)

Remember, folks, not *all* calls to strcpy() are bad; sometimes range
checking can be accomplished in non-intuitive ways.  I expect that just
back-porting the code from -current into 2.1 and 2.2 will be enough to
solve the problem.

However, if I am incorrect and you have an exploit that runs against
-current, please let me know, as I would like to see where the error
lies.  However, I poured over the -current code last night, and while
I agree that it needs a bath, I'm pretty certain that it's secure.

Thanks!

	- Dan C.

(...whose actually gotten some sleep now, and isn't so quick to make
stupid mistakes in his trains of thought...  :-)