Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:16:02 -0400
From:      Cipta H <ciphwn@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   writing libnetstat for Summer of Code 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm a college student studying CS in Columbia University. I'm
interested in doing this project for Summer of Code 2009:

> Libprocstat and libnetstat
> Suggested Summer of Code 2009 project idea
>
> Technical contact: Robert Watson
>
> Create, similar to libmemstat, wrapper libraries to support monitoring an=
d management applications to avoid direct use of kvm. Three parts to the pr=
oject: for each of the above, add kernel support to export data in a less A=
BI-sensitive way using sysctl, write a library to present the information i=
n an extensible way to applications, and update applications to use the lib=
rary instead of reaching directly into kernel memory / consuming sysctls. T=
he goal is to allow the kernel implementation to change without breaking ap=
plications and requiring them to be recompiled, and to allow monitoring fun=
ctions to be extended without breaking applications. This should also facil=
itate writing new classes of monitoring and profiling tools.

I'm going to focus mainly on netstat, however. Aside from that, I have
a few questions:
1. Aside from the bug report, has there been any other discussion on
this issue? I can't seem to find any in the mailing lists.
2. How much experience in C do you need to do this project? Do you
need to know the FreeBSD kernel?

Thanks in advance,

Cipta Herwana