Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:01:40 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:56:29 +0100, Jon Ribbens wrote:

> What about it? If an application does not need 100MB, it should not
> malloc it. If it does need it, it should malloc it and know that it
> is available if the malloc succeeds.

You're rehashing stuff that's been discussed to death. Please look at
the mailing list archives for this mailing list.

If you're not prepared to do that, the long and the short of it is that
FreeBSD _does_ overcommit, we like it that way and neither of these two
facts is likely to change.

Ciao,
Sheldon.