Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:13:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing non-existent ports from /var/db/pkg ?

On 02/10/2012 11:33, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> Hi Matthew and Anton, so in the meantime what is the best way to
> clear this old stuff out? I do like to clear out code and files that
> are redundant, where possible. What would you suggest?

At the moment, the only way to clear up is to manually remove the
outdated subdirectories from /var/db/ports.  You can work out what is
out of date by comparing the list of sub-dirs to the list of installed
ports obtained by

    pkg info -aq

Should only take a few minutes to write a small script to do that.

Be careful not to trash local.sqlite, repo.sqlite or auditfile -- in
fact, anything in /var/db/pkg which is not a directory should be preserved.

Note: even if you do delete subdirs that are actually still in use, this
shouldn't be a huge disaster.  The only data still in those directories
will be portmaster's cache of distfile info (which it can cope without:
it uses it to efficiently identify old distfiles that can themselves be
tidied up) and flag files like +IGNOREME which you will want to
regenerate before you next do a ports update.

	Cheers,

	Matthew