Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:51:58 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Mike Solis <mike@mtsolidarity.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Permissions

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:27, Mike Solis wrote:
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.7 as a web server running Apache2.  I'm trying to
> ftp into my server root folder but keep getting told I don't have
> permission.  I am included in group wheel so thought I would have the
> correct permissions.  What am I missing?

By default ftp access is inhibited for most special users as determined b=
y the=20
login names listed in /etc/ftpusers

Removing root from the list should, I imagine, allow you to do what you w=
ant.
BUT these names are in the list for very good reason -- removing any of t=
hem=20
makes it that much easier for some nasty to get in and seriously corrupt =
your=20
system. I suggest you don't go down this path.

Malcolm