Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:37:29 -0400
From:      Sean Bryant <sean@cyberwang.net>
To:        Ekkehard Morgenstern <ekkehard.morgenstern@onlinehome.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: Systems programming on FreeBSD

Ekkehard Morgenstern wrote:
> On Monday 02 October 2006 12:24, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>> Many aren't documented, but section 4 of the manpages is the place
>> where they are suppose to be documented... if you look at netintro(4),
>> you'll see a few for network devices..
>> A few others like agp(4), bpf(4) and meteor(4) have ioctl's described...
>
> Thanks, now that you mention it, I found some information that I was looking
> for, with a manpage browser, about the sound driver. :-)
>
>> For the others, often the definitions in the header file is usually
>> enough, as they sometimes also contains comments describing them...
>
> Unfortunately, the ATA / ATAPI include files don't contain much information
> regarding the use of the ioctl()s. Should I use the CAM pass/xpt devices
> instead? I would like to access raw data on a CD drive (in particular,
> subchannel info from an audio CD).
>
>> Good luck...
>
> Thanks, I need plenty of that!
If you're trying to get to the cam interface you can do that without the
ioctl interface and just use the cam interface. man cam to get that. But
note that only works for the cam devices (cd, xpt, pass, da). Things
like acd and ada are not supported with the cam interface and you're
pretty much stuck with using the ioctl interface but the sys/cdio.h and
sys/cdrio.h list the ioctls for you to use.
You can just open the cdrom device with open and start reading from it.
Right now there seems to be a bug with the cdrom ioctl stuff. If you do
certain operations too fast the thing will stop responding to request
for a while. Not sure when this will be cleared up.
But good luck to you. For examples take a look at the burncd source it
uses the cdio and cdrio ioctls quite a bit.