Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:04:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot problems

A power outage damaged my root file system (which is pretty small
since most things are kept in either the /usr or /var filesystems).
I was unable to repair the problems.  So, I double backed up
the contents and created a new filesystem with newfs.  I restored
the contents EXCEPT the /dev and /stand directories.  Now the
system won't boot.  The boot process runs almost to completion
stopping at the line "npx0: INT 16 interface".  I suspect that
the problem *MIGHT* be the missing /dev directory.  I would like
to know if people agree or disagree with that hypothesis.  I
would also like to know how to re-build the contents of the /dev
directory.  I have a boot disk, a fixit disk, and a cd-rom.
Finally, although I want to learn how to do it, I fear that I
may not be out of the woods once I get the system to re-boot.
So, I was wondering if there is a way that I can re-install *ONLY*
the root file system from the cd-rom.

Thanks very much for any input.

     ... doug