Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:45:01 +1000
From:      Andrew ReillyAtLake <A.ReillyAtLake@lake.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Process migration (was RE: ACPI project progress report)

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 05:40:30PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > The real issue here is persistent system state across the S4 suspend;
ie.
> > leaving applications open, etc.  IMO this isn't really something worth a

> > lot of effort to us, and it has a lot of additional complications for a
> > "server-class" operating system in that you have to worry about network
> > connections from other systems, not just _to_ other systems.

I was thinking about this a little more this afternoon, and it occurred to
me that the system state management services that one would like for smooth
"suspend" operation on laptops are very nearly the same as the process
checkpointing services that one requires for process migration in a cluster
environment.  That sounds like a "server-class" application for this stuff.
I know of at least one research project involving process migration in a
cluster (at U Sydney, I think) using FreeBSD.

Hey: wouldn't it be cool if, when you manually suspended your laptop, the
processes waiting for user input would be suspended to disk, but the
CPU-bound one running a simulation would migrate to your main compute
server.  It might even be finished the next time you logged in...