Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:35:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha Install - oops!

Doug Rabson, On 30-Aug-98 you wrote:

>  I have put a GENERIC kernel up on freefall as
>  http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/kernel.GENERIC-300898.gz.  This kernel has
>  root hardwired to /dev/rsd0a (because I haven't written the code to
>  figure
>  out which disk was actually booted).  If you need a different root, tell
>  me and I'll build another.

Got a problem:

* First had to fibure out how to tell the NetBSD loader to load the kernel.
  Hint to the less initiated than I am (Last DEC cnsole I worked on was on
  a VAX/750):
     +  shutdown now
     +  umount -a
     +  halt
     +  AT the ``Boot >>> '' prompt, type:
            boot freebsd.GENERIC-980830 (or whatever)
  Any deviation will cause the previous kernel to boot. No prompts will be
  given,  The Netbsd documentation is sparse or incorrect in this area.

* I now have on my console:

Jumping to entry point...

NetBSD/Alpha Secondary Boot, Revision 1.9
(ross@zeta...

VMS PAL rev: 0x11000000010114
OSF PAL rev: 0x10000000020116
Switch ot OSF PAL code succeeded.