Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 1997 15:50:09 -0500
From:      Jacob Suter <jsuter@linus.intrastar.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Fifield" <danf@JadeTech.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: T1 upgrade options?

Daniel C. Fifield wrote:

> I run an ISP in Wisconsin and we are planning an upgrade from a 56KB
> line
> to a T1 line.  My ISP recommends using a CISCO router.  I am looking
> for
> alternatives and experience using the CICSO router.

Ciscos are expensive and in my opinion VERY overpriced and
underpowered.  Unless you need the extended protocols I'd recomend the
Livingston IRX routers or even the Livingston OR-HS (high speed office
router).  We use the OR-HS on our 56K and hear they work great on T1s
too.

There is always the option of a router card such as the Emerging
technologies 5025 series cards.  VERY fast, cheap, and work well in
FreeBSD systems.  Check their page out at www.etinc.com.

Good luck, we're fixing to do the T1 changeover ourselves and I'm
looking forward to it...  Its always fun to watch the telco run around
like insects...

JS