Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:12:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@dimension.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   md5, des, et al.

A recent poster (sorry, I deleted the message, so I don't remember
who) said something about using dlopen() and friends (we'll assume
for argument's sake that that will work flawlessly).

However, doesn't any solution involving shared {libraries,object code}
merely solve half of the problem?  Suppose you have md5.so, des.so,
blowfish.so, and foobar.so.  Obviously, you can now decrypt
passwords encrypted with DES, MD5, etc.  However, when a user
changes his or her password, which scheme is used to generate the
new password?

Situation 1: Administrator A set up FreeBSD to use MD5 because it's
he default.  He later wants to be able to share passwords with
other UNIX boxes, so he needs to convert all passwords to DES.
Thus, he needs to read MD5 but write DES.  (ala Ultrix's UPGRADE
security mode).  This scenario equates to "read any, write one".

Situation 2: Administrator B sets up a FreeBSD NIS master.  over
time, his userbase expands to include users in multiple countries.
Some of those countries forbid the use of "strong" encryption.
Administrator B would like to use MD5 for USA users, but some simple
obfuscation for users in one of those other countries.  Thus, the
reading/writing mechanism must be able to write different formats
to the same file.  This scenario equates to "read any, write any".

Granted, the second situation might be a little more farfetched, but
it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.  Seems to me
that passwd.conf is about the only way to make this work.  Or am I
missing something obvious?

--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@dimension.net