Date:      19 Jun 2002 16:58:43 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>, 'Ryan Thompson' <ryan@sasknow.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > 1) Biometrics can't be used reliably for remote access.
> There are zero-knowledge protocols for secure remote use of
> biometric data.

Most fingerprint scanners don't even encrypt the data they send to the
computer they're connected to.

> > 2) I don't know of any currently available biometric authentication
> >    device that can't be easily fooled.
> Somewhat misleading -- any biometric method of identification
> has false positives and false negatives.  For software engineers,
> this seems unacceptable, since we're used to boolean values
> for Truth.

When "false positives" includes reliably identifying a laptop showing
an AVI of a talking person (for one facial recognition system I know
of) or a plastic bag filled with warm water (for one fingerprint
scanner I know of) as the rightful user, they fall under my definition
of "useless".  I know of two independent studies in which all the
biometric devices tested (about a dozen in each study, with some
overlap) were fooled with very simple means.

The only biometric authentication system I trust (to some degree,
anyway) is the human brain.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org