Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 1996 22:46:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Ben Kirkpatrick <ben@guppy.pond.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stable vs. local changes at ISP

>    1) By using sup to update the src tree here, will I indanger some of
> the local changes we've made? (i.e. des and 16char usernames)

You probably wouldn't want to do it like that (e.g. yes, it would
endanger your changes).

Instead, sup the CVS tree and check out a copy of -stable somewhere.
Work in this directory and use CVS update to periodically sync your
tree with ours.  CTM will preserve your changes and also notify you
when you've modified something which is now in conflict with us.  It
won't do this in a very pleasant way, mind you (unless you happen to
like lots of regions marked with `<<<<<<' characters in your source
files :-), but it's better than the alternative.

>    2) make world sometimes causes problems on a running system, possibly
> updating libs before the appropriate binaries and rebuilding kernel. (i.e.
> w, and who always act funny)

Yeah, we know.  This is often unavoidable, sorry!

>    3) Any comment on this idea:  We do system maint on sunday nights.
> Would it be acceptable/safe to run sup and make the day before, and have
> it actually install while in single-user mode?  How do you postpone the
> install step?

With a `make world?'  You don't, I'm afraid.

There are two options, that I see:

1. Make a custom version of the world target that doesn't install
   anything, then go find and fix all the other Makefiles which make
   assumptions about various things being in /usr/bin, /usr/include
   and /usr/lib.

   This is a big job, which is why it's been postponed for so long.
   It's an especially nasty problem for the compiler tools if you're
   trying to go for 100% clean "no external dependencies" strategy.

2. Install with DESTDIR pointing somewhere else, then devise a scheme
   whereby you reboot and "swap" to the new populated tree as your
   root.  Keep the old one around for reversion in case it doesn't
   work.

   Making this scheme work actually has other merits - you could
   hypothetically run both 2.1 and 2.2 on the same machine, for
   example.  You'd have to do a chroot() of some sort in
   /sys/kern/init_main.c before running what's typically /sbin/init,
   but it's not undoable.  In fact, I think I'll give it a shot
   right now, just to see what happens.. :-)

						Jordan