Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:25:58 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nvi maintainer?

In message <xzplmlzsd4j.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav
writes:
> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
> > Setting undolevels=0 causes vim to have the same undo/redo behaviour as
> > vendor vi and nvi.
>
> Nope, nvi has multiple undo levels (not sure how many), press '.'
> after pressing 'u' to undo additional levels.

Cool.  It supports multiple undo levels without breaking compatibility
with vendor vi.  This is like having my cake and eating it too.

Vim and vendor vi repeat the last non-undo command.  In this regard vim
is compatible with vendor vi while nvi by default is not, which IMO is
a bug in the original (and vendor) vi, but then who am I to say?  After
a little research, nvi can be fully vendor vi and vim compatible (IMO
buggy) in this regard using the "set edcompatible" command.

It's amazing how much a person can learn just by subscribing to these
lists.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC