Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:35:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advice on new SCSI hardware

I'm finally looking into getting some REAL drives on this beast of mine
(SCSI as opposed to IDE), and have considered several options.  The card I
am most likely going to use is the Tekram DC-390F (i believe that is the
Ultra Wide card), and am debating which drives to go with it.  The
cheapeast I have seen so far were from Corporate Systems
(www.corpsys.com), the 2.1GB Seagate 32430WD (which they tag as just
Wide-SCSI), and the 4.3GB Micropolis 3243W (which they call a Ultra-Wide
SCSI3 drive.. the model number is suspiciously close to the Seagate's.
Typo?).  I've heard some people really complain about the Micropolis
drives, so I thought I'd see if these were some of the particular buggers
that people hated so much.  I plan on buying several of these drives and
using CCD with them (striped).  Which, by the way, brings up another
question - For the average Power User, (just lots of 'make world's and
playing around), what seems to be the best stripe size?  Also...
Concerning the swap area (which will be on these drives), which is better:
setting the drives to be entirely consumed by the ccd partitions and
putting the swap within the virtual ccd, or just leave some free space on
each drive outside of the ccd and swap from there? (I'm thinking the
latter is the best option, but I figured I should ask.)

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net