Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:49:14 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Wiz <marc@wiz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum and hot-swapping

--phbq2bkSb+hZnunM

On Sunday, 13 July 2003 at 20:57:46 -0500, Marc Wiz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:02:58AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>> I don't believe vinum can optimize full-stripe writes, though, since
>>> FreeBSD can only do I/O in 64k max chunks,
>>
>> 128 kB.
>
> I thought physio was limited to 64 KB?  The man page on dump states
> this.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Physio is limited to MAXPHYS, which you'll find defined in
/usr/include/sys/param.h:

  #ifndef MAXPHYS
  #define MAXPHYS		(128 * 1024)	/* max raw I/O transfer size */
  #endif

I've taken a look at the dump code (yuk!), and it no longer places any
limitation on the block size.  I'll fix the man page.

Greg

--phbq2bkSb+hZnunM

--phbq2bkSb+hZnunM--