Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 23:15:18 -0400
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Arthur Munn <netbsdadvocate@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0 to have pthreads?

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 11:09:15PM -0400, Arthur Munn wrote:
> hello all, I was told by a friend that FreeBSD 5.0 is going to be sporting
> *real* pthreads, I was immediatley very excited and I want to know if this
> is true, if anyone knows I would really like to have it verified/dismissed.

first of all, you have to define 'real pthreads'.  freebsd has a perfectly
good implimentation of pthreads right now, it just happens to be implimented
in userspace.  there is also a port of linuxthreads which uses rfork
underneath, so gets you process based threads, which gives you many of the
advantages of kernel threads, but is rather heavyweight.

there is also the KSE project, which is probably what you're talking about.
it's intent is to impliment kernel threads in a much more efficient and
scalable manner than the rfork based style.  check out
http://www.freebsd.org/~jasone/kse for details.

this project was originally intended for FreeBSD 5.0, but will likely not be
completed in time.  at the moment i believe it is waiting on the current proc
locking work to be completed before any code will be checked in.

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would