Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:19:57 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/guile build fails for me

## Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de):

> >> configure:11579: checking for lt_dlinit in -lltdl
> >> configure:11604: cc -o conftest -O2 -pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
> >> -march=nocona -I/usr/local/include  -rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib conftest.c
> >> -lltdl   >&5
> >> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lltdl
> >
> > Confirmed (8.2-RELEASE-p2).
> > Somehow, configure loses $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Not sure how...
>
> The command line quoted above lacks the -L option for link-time; -rpath
> is a run-time option, and by itself, is insufficient.  Try stuffing
> -L${LOCALBASE}/lib into some kind of linker flag such as LDFLAGS or
> perhaps LIBS - and pass that through CONFIGURE_ENV or _ARGS.

Ah, yes, LDFLAGS. The port's Makefile already has
LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib" in $CONFIGURE_ENV, and as guile's configure
is a standard autoconf configure, $LDFLAGS should be picked up (the
output of "./configure --help" supports this), but... well, it isn't.
As I installed guile 1.8.6_5 last september (having one's own packages
archive is a great thing) and the latest change on the port does not look
like it's the culprit (haven't tested that, though), I guess it's down to
some serious autotools debugging.

Regards,
Christoph

--