Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 12:18:01 -0700
From:      perilous@ix.netcom.com (William Harrison)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   More TCP/IP

I have worked my way through the netstart script and made two changes:

defaultrouter=NO     I changed to  defaultrouter=204.7.184.1

name_server=NO       I changed to YES

Ping and telnet work with dotted decimal but not with names.
But nslookup works!!!

I set up named.boot as a caching server.
I downloaded named.ca from internic and set it up.
There are no errors when named is run.
If I ping to one of the names that happens to be in named.ca, I get the
translation to dotted decimal  but

If I telnet or ping to a name that must be translated by a remote name
server  I get  unknown host.

I set up resolv.conf  but it didn't help

It appears that telnet and ping are talking to named but named isn't
looking any further than what is in named.ca

bill