Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:46:10 -0700
From:      "Meagan Jia Pi" <meagan@e-lingo.com>
To:        <keith@mail.telestream.com>, "Tremayne Smith" <tmane333@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Restoring from tape

> Just went through this myself. Here is the result and how I got it to
> work.
>
> 1. On tape machine.
>         a. rewind all the way to beginning
>         b. Don't mt the tape to the proper file system !!
> ie. don't mt the tape to the proper location.

When I restore file from tapes, I always use wind the tape to the
begining of the right file system, then I run:

restore -if /dev/rsa0

and then just add and extract the files I need.

So I don't understand why did you say don't mt the tape to the proper
location.
I think whay went wrong when you first tried was that your tape was not at
the beginning
of any files in the tape.

Thanks!
Meagan